DEFINING PRACTICE A - ONE YEAR COURSE
Please find below a short film about the Defining Practice Course.
This exciting year-long practical course is now well into its sixth year and the art school is currently accepting applications for the 2021 course which will again be run over six two-day sessions eight weeks apart starting in July 2021. This course combines practical sessions on each of the weekend or Monday-Tuesday or Thursday-Friday sessions alongside one-to-one tuition and group tutorials. The course is aimed at those who wish to create a body of work over a year through which they might gain a stronger sense of their own artistic voice and the methods, media and processes that are most suited to their work.
By working with the tutors in a group dynamic, students can share discoveries, influences and connections from contemporary artists to historical references gaining inspiration from the artistic journeys of fellow students.
There will be the opportunity to cover multi-media practice including painting, printmaking, collage and photography among other media. However, it is not a foundation course; we use a variety of media to help people step outside of their familiar processes and commonly used materials so that they can learn lessons to be brought back into their painting or other existing practice.
Course Leader Faye Dobinson will be with you throughout the course with a wonderful array of visiting Tutors joining the course over the year. There will always be 2-3 experienced artist tutors on hand for the students attending
A typical two-day session would include students bringing along recent works they have made between sessions or some source material from which they would make several fresh works from scratch during the session using different painting and drawing processes under the guidance of the tutors. The tuition would be one-to-one and also group demonstrations with specific guidance given to each student in the group. Every two-day session will include a one-to-one tutorial for each student through which they and the Tutor will devise a set of objectives to work with over the following eight weeks. Over the past year we have supported our longer course students every step of the way providing full sessions live streamed if lock downs prevented them from attending and even sending materials in the post to enable them to work alongside our team of tutors. If lockdown happens in the future we will again be supporting students with these live-streamed sessions which have been a great success.
For more in-depth information about the course including dates and prices, as well as a description of each of the sessions, please click the link below to view our course overview PDF.
Please find below the main themes of our two-day sessions. You can read a full description of each session on the PDF overview linked above.
1. Experimental painting and source material - visiting artist Anita Reynolds
2. Developing an image - Drawing, Print and Collage with visiting artist John Howard
3. Research and themes - Place with visiting artists James Hankey and Anita Reynolds
4. The Portrait and Self-portrait - Led by Jesse Leroy Smith with visiting artists Louise Thomas and Marie Claire Hamon
5. Colour - Processes and Materials with visiting artist Maggie O’Brien
6. Reflection - with Faye Dobinson, Jesse Leroy Smith and Marie Claire Hamon
With lots of materials to-hand provided by the art school there will be a continual flow of new types of painting, drawing and other media to explore and constant individual help to guide students with their work.
If you would like to chat to us about the course please get in touch via the contact details at the bottom of this page.
Dates for 2021:
Defining Practice Group A (Thursday - Friday)
- Thursday 8th – Friday 9th July 2021
- Thursday 16th – Friday 17th September 2021
- Thursday 18th – Friday 19th November 2021
- Thursday 13th – Friday 14th January 2022
- Thursday 10th - Friday 11th March 2022
- Thursday 5th – Friday 6th May 2022
Defining Practice Group B (Saturday – Sunday)
- Saturday 10th – Sunday 11th July 2021
- Saturday 18th – Sunday 19th September 2021
- Saturday 20th – Sunday 21st November 2021
- Saturday 15th – Sunday 16th January 2022
- Saturday 12th - Sunday 13th March 2022
- Saturday 7th – Sunday 8th May 2022
Defining Practice Group C (Monday – Tuesday)
- Monday 12th – Tuesday 13th July 2021
- Monday 20th – Tuesday 21st September 2021
- Monday 22nd – Tuesday 23rd November 2021
- Monday 17th – Tuesday 18th January 2022
- Monday 14th - Tuesday 15th March 2022
- Monday 9th – Tuesday 10th May 2022
We would be interested to hear from anyone wanting to apply for the next year by email - info (@) newlynartschool.co.uk
To find out more about the course please ring the art school on 01736 365 557
In addition to the above Defining Practice course we have a Mentoring Programme held over six weekends in a year.