DEFINING PRACTICE B - ONE YEAR COURSE
Please find below a short film about the Defining Practice Course.
This exciting year-long practical course is now well into its sixth year and the art school is currently accepting applications for the 2022 course which will again be run over six two-day sessions eight weeks apart starting in September 2022. This course combines practical sessions on each of the Saturday - Sunday, or Monday-Tuesday, or Thursday-Friday sessions, alongside one-to-one tuition and group tutorials. The course is aimed at those who wish to create a body of work over a year through which they might gain a stronger sense of their own artistic voice and the methods, media and processes that are most suited to their work.
By working with the tutors in a group dynamic, students can share discoveries, influences and connections from contemporary artists to historical references gaining inspiration from the artistic journeys of fellow students.
There will be the opportunity to cover multi-media practice including painting, printmaking, collage and photography among other media. However, it is not a foundation course; we use a variety of media to help people step outside of their familiar processes and commonly used materials so that they can learn lessons to be brought back into their painting or other existing practice.
Course Leader Faye Dobinson will be with you throughout the course with a wonderful array of visiting Tutors joining the course over the year. There will always be 2-3 experienced artist tutors on hand for the students attending
A typical two-day session would include students bringing along recent works they have made between sessions or some source material from which they would make several fresh works from scratch during the session using different painting and drawing processes under the guidance of the tutors. The tuition would be one-to-one and also group demonstrations with specific guidance given to each student in the group. Every two-day session will include a one-to-one tutorial for each student through which they and the Tutor will devise a set of objectives to work with over the following eight weeks. Since the pandemic we have supported our longer course students every step of the way providing full sessions live streamed if lock downs prevented them from attending, and even sending materials in the post to enable them to work alongside our team of tutors. If lockdown happens in the future we will again be supporting students with these live-streamed sessions which have been a great success.
Please find below the main themes of our two-day sessions.
- Experimental painting and source material - visiting artist Anita Reynolds
- Developing an image - Drawing, Print and Collage with visiting artist John Howard
- Research and themes - Place with visiting artists James Hankey and Anita Reynolds
- The Portrait and Self-portrait - Led by Jesse Leroy Smith with visiting artists Louise Thomas and Marie Claire Hamon
- Colour - Processes and Materials with visiting artist Maggie O’Brien
- Reflection - with Faye Dobinson, Jesse Leroy Smith and Marie Claire Hamon
With lots of materials to-hand provided by the art school there will be a continual flow of new types of painting, drawing and other media to explore and constant individual help to guide students with their work.
Dates for 2022 Cohort:
Defining Practice Group A (Thursday - Friday)
- Thursday 1st September - Friday 2nd September 2022
- Thursday 24th November – Friday 25th November 2022
- Thursday 9th February – Friday 10th February 2023
- Thursday 6th April - Friday 7th April 2023
- Thursday 8th June – Friday 9th June 2023
- Thursday 7th - Friday 8th September 2023
Defining Practice Group B (Saturday – Sunday)
- Saturday 3rd September – Sunday 4th September 2022
- Saturday 26th November – Sunday 27th November 2022
- Saturday 11th February – Sunday 12th February 2023
- Saturday 8th April - Sunday 9th April 2023
- Saturday 10th June – Sunday 11th June 2023
- Saturday 9th - Sunday 10th September 2023
Defining Practice Group C (Monday – Tuesday)
- Monday 5th September – Tuesday 6th September 2022
- Monday 28th November – Tuesday 29th November 2022
- Monday 13th February – Tuesday 14th February 2023
- Monday 10th April - Tuesday 11th April 2023
- Monday 12th June – Tuesday 13th June 2023
- Monday 11th - Tuesday 12th September 2023
Course price: £2,650.
We offer everyone interested in applying for the course a free half hour one-to-one chat with the Lead Tutor for the course. Simply fill in our Initial Enquiry Form linked below and we will contact you about arranging a meeting. Alternatively if you have any questions you can get in touch via info (@) newlynartschool.co.uk
In addition to the above Defining Practice course we have a Mentoring Programme held over six weekends in a year.