DEFINING PRACTICE C - COURSE
Please find below a short film about the Defining Practice Course.
This exciting year-long practical course is now well into its sixth year and the art school is currently accepting applications for the 2022 course which will again be run over six two-day sessions eight weeks apart starting in July 2022. This course combines practical sessions on each of the Saturday - Sunday, or Monday-Tuesday, or Thursday-Friday sessions, alongside one-to-one tuition and group tutorials. The course is aimed at those who wish to create a body of work over a year through which they might gain a stronger sense of their own artistic voice and the methods, media and processes that are most suited to their work.
By working with the tutors in a group dynamic, students can share discoveries, influences and connections from contemporary artists to historical references gaining inspiration from the artistic journeys of fellow students.
There will be the opportunity to cover multi-media practice including painting, printmaking, collage and photography among other media. However, it is not a foundation course; we use a variety of media to help people step outside of their familiar processes and commonly used materials so that they can learn lessons to be brought back into their painting or other existing practice.
Course Leader Faye Dobinson will be with you throughout the course with a wonderful array of visiting Tutors joining the course over the year. There will always be 2-3 experienced artist tutors on hand for the students attending
A typical two-day session would include students bringing along recent works they have made between sessions or some source material from which they would make several fresh works from scratch during the session using different painting and drawing processes under the guidance of the tutors. The tuition would be one-to-one and also group demonstrations with specific guidance given to each student in the group. Every two-day session will include a one-to-one tutorial for each student through which they and the Tutor will devise a set of objectives to work with over the following eight weeks. Since the pandemic we have supported our longer course students every step of the way providing full sessions live streamed if lock downs prevented them from attending, and even sending materials in the post to enable them to work alongside our team of tutors. If lockdown happens in the future we will again be supporting students with these live-streamed sessions which have been a great success.
Please find below the main themes of our two-day sessions.
- Experimental painting and source material - visiting artist Anita Reynolds
- Developing an image - Drawing, Print and Collage with visiting artist John Howard
- Research and themes - Place with visiting artists James Hankey and Anita Reynolds
- The Portrait and Self-portrait - Led by Jesse Leroy Smith with visiting artists Louise Thomas and Marie Claire Hamon
- Colour - Processes and Materials with visiting artist Maggie O’Brien
- Reflection - with Faye Dobinson, Jesse Leroy Smith and Marie Claire Hamon
For more in-depth information about the course including dates and prices, as well as a description of each of the sessions, please contact us on 01736 365 557 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for our course overview and Enquiry/application forms.
You can also find further details in the overview linked below.
With lots of materials to-hand provided by the art school there will be a continual flow of new types of painting, drawing and other media to explore and constant individual help to guide students with their work.
Dates for 2022 Cohort:
Defining Practice Group A (Thursday - Friday)
- Thursday 30th June - Friday 01 July 2022
- Thursday 01 September - Friday 02 September 2022
- Thursday 24 November – Friday 25 November 2022
- Thursday 09 February – Friday 10 February 2023
- Thursday 06 April - Friday 07 April 2023
- Thursday 08 June – Friday 09 June 2023
Defining Practice Group B (Saturday – Sunday)
- Saturday 02 July– Sunday 03 July 2022
- Saturday 05 September – Sunday 06 September 2022
- Saturday 28 November – Sunday 29 November 2022
- Saturday 11 February – Sunday 12 February 2023
- Saturday 08 April - Sunday 09 April 2023
- Saturday 10 June – Sunday 11 June 2023
Defining Practice Group C (Monday – Tuesday)
- Monday 04 July – Tuesday 05 July 2022
- Monday 05 September – Tuesday 06 September 2022
- Monday 28 November – Tuesday 29 November 2022
- Monday 13 February – Tuesday 14 February 2023
- Monday 10 April - Tuesday 11 April 2023
- Monday 12 June – Tuesday 13 June 2023
We would be interested to hear from anyone wanting to apply for the next year by email - info (@) newlynartschool.co.uk
To find out more about the course please ring the art school on 01736 365 557
In addition to the above Defining Practice course we have a Mentoring Programme held over six weekends in a year.