Starting in October of 2023, this new energised year-long practical art course is for people who want to learn more about using the figure in their art practice. Led by artists Faye Dobinson and Rob Unett, participants will generate a significant body of work over the year, with the aim of developing a personal visual vocabulary. The course is experimental, using the body and figure as a site for exploring different media and methods.
With additional input from national and international artists who work with the human form; participants will have the opportunity to expand their artist networks and to understand the multitude of ways artists from around the world are responding to the figure today.
Together we will look at the history of different mediums and processes, enabling participants to explore new approaches to working and to rethink their personal approach to bodies and their aesthetics.
The art school will provide a wide range of materials in the sessions to help you experiment with different approaches and processes to bring into your work.
- We will learn to represent, depict and visually manifest the figure.
- To achieve personal familiarity.
- We will develop and learn to emit emotion through gesture and application.
- To captivate/seduce the eye of the beholder or simply represent our own passion for the individual form.
- You will assemble a visual vocabulary of techniques, methods, aesthetics and feelings.
- To reveal a panorama of perspectives and approaches to communicating ‘person’ or ‘people’.
- We will explore the currency of pose and position and what they communicate.
Please find below the main themes of our two-day sessions.
1. MONO: SOURCES, SKETCHES, ESSENCE
2. RELEASING: TRANSITIONING, CHANCE, FLOW.
3. PERFORMANCE: ALTERING, MORPHING, REIMAGINING
4. RHYTHMS: MOVEMENT, MARKS, MOTION
5. SCALE: MANIPULATING THE MICRO + MASSIVE
6. REFLECTION: EDIT, ENQUIRY, CONTEXT (ARTIST-LED PROJECT AT TREMENHEERE SCULPTURE GARDENS GALLERY)
We offer everyone interested in applying for the course a 45-minute one-to-one Zoom call with the Lead Tutor for the course. Simply fill in our Application Form embedded below and we will contact you about arranging an informal interview. Alternatively, if you have any questions you can get in touch via Contact Us.
Course price: £2,950.
Our 2023/24 classes have started for this year. 2024/25 will be opening soon.
To view our other Year Long Courses, please click here.
Course thumbnail image by Rob Unett.